Monday, April 23, 2012

A New Goal

The Wannabe Athlete "Choosing Not to Race"


Sunday was the Atlanta Zooma Women's Half Marathon. Sunday morning at 5am, I was nauseous, tired, and waiting for a blood sugar spike while almost  fainting in the shower. Moral of the story: A half-marathon is not a good idea when you're running on empty.


Luckily, I wasn't the only one. The Wannabe Athlete also chose not to race this weekend, so at least the guilt I was feeling yesterday isn't permanent. This was my first half-marathon and I was super excited to finish. After February's Tough Mudder I was more confident than ever, until…


After Tough Mudder, I was super tired. I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm or the discipline I had earlier. My favorite running shoes were losing their squish, and I did not have the cardio/endurance base to make it through 5 miles, let alone 13.1. 

Yes, I feel extremely guilty. I've never not finished a race; running, crew, or otherwise. Even if it's a tough fight, even if I'm inching toward the finish looking extremely slow and pathetic, it's crossing the finish line that makes it worth it, fighting til the end. 

So, coming off this weekend, I've decided to set a new goal. There are 23 days until I board a plane for a much-anticipated girls week in Jamaica. That's 23 days I have to sweat, work and run to get myself looking fit and tone, and needless to say, skinny(we all can be a little shallow sometimes…). 


But we all know, skinny is not a goal. Here's the real quantifiable, measurable goal:


NTC minutes: 800, that's about 14 hours to get me to the 3,000-minute badge. 
Run: 3 miles/4x week 
Turbo: 2 hours/week


This will serve as my base workout for the next 3+ weeks. This type of thing isn't supposed to be easy, but it'll be worth it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment