Wednesday, July 11, 2012

10 Things that Make Me Happy

If I ever get to a dark place, I eventually find my way back by investing time in the things and people I love. I will always have my family and friends for support, but these are like the icing on the cake. Even if they're shallow, or everyday, or comparatively meaningless, here are the things that do make me feel happy. 


10) Longchamp bags +
I like to think of them as classy, simple mom bags. Or even, the Mary Poppins' carpet bag. Anything and everything can fit in here. The + is there to represent the awesome stuff that I usually keep in said Longchamp bag: iPod, Kiehl's lip balm, giant polarized sunglasses, a Holy Mary charm for good luck. 

9) iPhone
I am Apple-loyal, and even Nina Garcia says a smartphone is a Top 100 essential. Email, social media, looking up random movie facts, watching movies on a flight, and OpenTable reservations are a perk. The NTC and Nike + Running apps make it even more of a can't-do-without. 

8) My Library
I have a sizable library. Seriously. I'm not an e-reader, so having a giant room for books is vital. Most of the collection is classic titles, with a splash of Victorian pop novels, history, and Fifty Shades of Grey. Nowhere near complete...


7) Project Manager notebooks
Something about them just keeps me in line. I have lots of journals, sketchbooks, calendars, planners, etc. But, Project Manager notebooks are where I do all of my notes, brainstorming, to-do lists. If only they weren't a total pain to find. 


6) My Monogram
My great-grandmother was the first to get me hooked on my monogram. Then, my grandmother bought me hot magenta monogrammed stationary. So classy, and completely unique. I think it just adds a very special, personal touch. I don't go crazy and put a giant PWA on everything I own, but I won't be changing my name when I get married. 




5) Crew Medals
A lot of rowers bolt an oar on their wall to hang all of their race medals. I don't have an oarsworth of medals, but I do feel very proud whenever I'm going through my closet and I find them. Some races can just feel so amazing, and the medals are a reminder of how special I feel for being coxswain and having those experiences. 


4) Paper Cranes
I bought this painting for myself, for my 26th birthday. Natalie Cartner is a friend, and she paints amazing portraits, along with amazing everything-else. I like to think this was my first big piece of actual art (not a print).


3) Passport + Camera
I used to keep scrapbooks, until I started posting photos on Facebook. The medium always changes, but I love traveling and taking pictures. I find that that is how I get to know somewhere. I also love looking at the stamps in my passport. There aren't nearly enough, however...


2) Gatorheads
I love being a Gator. I like to think I was the first traitor in my family for going to a rival SEC school. Despite not being sure if it was the right school for me initially, the University of Florida was an amazing place where I learned to be a grown up, and occasionally how to have fun. 


1) Writing
I took a look at my journal last night. I don't write in it as often, since I have the blog. I have been writing in it since 2001. It's interesting (and a little embarrassing) to see what I wrote so long ago, mostly about terrible relationships and low points. But, in between are good times. It reminds me just how much we can change and grow from month to month, year to year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment