Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Blog with a Clear Point of View

Definitely not easy being a coxswain...
No lie. I started this blog on a Friday night when my roommate was on a date and I was not.

I had no plans that weekend, absolutely none. I was angry and wanted to rant about how much being 23 and broke and single was the antithesis of what I thought my life would be as an adult.

Over time, this blog served as place for my pushy side to come out. Then eventually, it became a place where I would turn that negativity into something more constructive. I figured the more I wrote, the more my point of view would take shape and it would be a gradual coming of age online. 

However, the vision is still very blurry to me. It's a big factor why I haven't told any of my extended friends about this blog. When I started seriously writing, I wasn't sure what my focus would be. Even mommy-bloggers have a focus. 

This isn't a blog about advice, fashion, decor, travel, career advancement or even about actual coxing. It's about me fighting tooth and nail to not settle. To see if I could cox my way to a life I love. 

For this process, I've been experimenting by reading books, blogs, working out, getting away, meditating, forgiving others and forgetting some. I've tried my hand at different types of writing, and watched other bloggers give up the ghost. Or maybe they just got boring…

In my case, I been defining my blog as all the things that those blogs aren't. I want people to read my blog and actually get something out of it. In the end, I don't want it to be about me. It's never about the coxswain, anyway…

Have any other bloggers been in  this situation?

So what can you get out of this post? How about, "The finish line will always be blurry. That's why we pick a point, make a plan, and go. You'll know when you get there."


No comments:

Post a Comment