Friday, August 8, 2014

"It sounds like you got a lot on your plate."

"I don't know, man, listening really isn't my strong suit."
"If you ever get lost and you're not sure what to say, you can just say the following phrase: It sounds like you got a lot on your plate. That applies to literally every conversation."

I don't want to be predictable, but yeah, I got a lot on my plate. If I were a school lunch, all of the compartments on my tray would be full. Not to impugn anyone else's plates, but my plate and my time are accounted for.

While I've been stretching my time and budget to fill many different roles, I'm hoping to pull back for the rest of the year. I have a house and a wonderful partner that I don't get to spend much time with, and I know my credit card could use a break.

From perusing different leadership blogs and articles, I hate to admit that I might not be as confident or strong-willed all of the time. But, I also think that pulling back to save yourself isn't exactly weak-minded. I can't be the person I'm supposed to be if I'm being pulled from both ends. I'd rather recognize the problem and fix it before there's the possibility of coming up short. 

Think of it as taking a mental health season.

The last two months have really opened my eye to my type of leadership as well. I've gotten very emotional, as well as emotionally invested in the tasks I've undertaken. I've never felt more certain that I need a drastic change to put things in perspective; to shake up the box so that I can put everything back in order. That's a lot of metaphors.

It's actually just the right time for it. After my birthday, I have no work travel for the next 5 weeks, and it's back-to-school season. It's my favorite time. Don't judge. 




No comments:

Post a Comment