Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Travel Tuesday - Napa/Sonoma Valley

I picked Napa this week, because ever since Troy said he wasn't into wine, I realized this trip would probably be a girls vacation.

I love the movie Bottle Shock, about the culture of California wines and how they came into the global wine arena. Now Napa is considered a hot spot for the greatest food and wine on Earth.


Bottle Shock stars a young Chris Pine and a most hilarious Alan Rickman

For this trip itinerary, I included Sonoma Valley because why pick one, when two will do? Also, I have a very nice ex-boyfriend who's family owns Korbin Kameron, a vineyard that I am most anxious to visit. 

As far as things to do, every website points to the many local vineyards for tastings, wine dinners and tours. In an effort to put together a trip that doesn't involve drinking for eight hours a day, I had to look deeper. Here's what I found:

Dinner Reservations at The French Laundry and The Farmhouse 
(Good luck! These reservations are pricey and rare, like diamonds…)

A hot air balloon ride

A LEISURELY bike ride in Sonoma

Vineyard visits and tastings (Note: Must find best map of suggested vineyards)

Spa Day in Calistoga

Go to a Crush event in September

Picnic from Dean & Deluca at the V. Sattui winery near St. Helena

Visit the Culinary Institute of America and eat in their restaurant

Take a day or two to visit Breweries

Visit the Jelly Belly visitor center

Find a hot spring

Hike through a National Park

Go to a glass blowing demo, and maybe do one myself?

The Charles M. Shultz Museum

Spend a day in San Francisco on the way back (another day, another itinerary)






No comments:

Post a Comment