Sunday, January 22, 2012

That Kind of Woman

As a little girl, I always admired a certain type of female character. The beyond smart, guarded, more-than-meets-the-eye kind of girl. The Elizabeth Bennetts, Rory Gilmores of the world. Until college, I don't think there was an appreciation for that kind of person yet among my peer group.

It wasn't until my last two years of high school that I realized I needed to come into my own. The smart, silent type wasn't faring well in public school, doing lots of work and fading into the background. That's when I became a coxswain.

Then, my idea of who I wanted to be took more shape. Tricky, in control, obsessed with technique and getting things perfect. German efficiency, winning, going beyond any expectation, and never backing down from a challenge. I could cox my way through life. This did not go over well with people I dated.

I took multiple failed relationships and a long spell of single to realize the type of person I wanted to be. Boarding school aims to make you a more well-rounded person. I got out of it with multiple personalities, of sorts. Snippets of female characters and role models who I admired and wanted to be like. 

I call them Bad Ass Gunslingers, characters I think are strong, witty, smart, graceful, the type of girl that keeps you on your toes. 

Maybe these characters will be my inspiration for the week. Yes, they are characters, not real people. But, how we chose to view them is a reflection of the qualities we'd like to see in ourselves.

Noomi Repace completely embodied Lisabeth Salander
 in the Dragon Tattoo series. She was a misunderstood woman
 who hid behind a facade, but in the end, played everything her way.


Carrie Bradshaw balanced love and life, and made it her profession.
Stylish,  sharp, and ultimately turned broken hearts into gold. 
Hermione was a magical brain that still showed courage and loyalty at every turn. 
Audrey was a simple, unassuming girl who
became a sweetheart on screen. Breakfast at Tiffany's
and My Fair Lady was about quirky, genuine girls who win you over.  
I put Maggie Q and SMG together.
Nikita and Buffy are the most incredibly strong characters.
 I love the concept of strong women
kicking ass and saving the world.


Daria was the smartest, most sarcastic
person ever.  Yet, by the end of the show,
she had what really matters most, friends.

Speaking of: 15 Lessons Learned From Strong Heroines via The Frisky 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Especially, "Yes, they are characters, not real people. But, how we chose to view them is a reflection of the qualities we'd like to see in ourselves." Soo sooo sooooo true!

    ReplyDelete