Thursday, February 9, 2012

On Giving Back

Classy Career Girl: How to Give Back When You Have Little to Give


When I was looking for my first post-grad job, I did not have much on my resumé. Matter of fact, the biggest component on it, aside from my actual degree, was an internship I did one summer at my alma mater, St. Margaret's School. Two and half months of working with my school's development office, trying to reach alums, putting together mailings, redesigning a website, and helping organize a reunion, gave me the skills that made me desirable to a company. 


I read the article above on "How to Give Back When you Have Little to Give," and though especially of young alumnae. At 20, I did not have much to give. I gave $50 out of my financial aid to the school, but surprisingly that was a lot comparatively. 


Now, I'm on the Alumnae Council Executive Board, and the biggest obstacle I want to tackle is getting alums to participate; not with their money, but their time. 




With the Young Alumnae Challenge, what I wanted to achieve was not only increased participation rates, but a rise in visibility for the school. We created a video to promote the campaign in hopes that it would go viral, be posted on every young alums' Facebook timeline. This would put the campaign and the school top-of-mind. 


The article says that even though we as a young demographic do not have much to give in the ways of donating thousands to spearhead capital campaigns or build a new library, sports fields, or dedicate a new boathouse, we still can do something significant.


So here is a call-to-action. 
What can you do as a 20-something to help the organization/charity/cause of your choice?


1) Social Media
Facebook posts spread the word to your fellow alums, parents and everyone in your network. Twitter, Blogging, LinkedIn, emails: think of all the outlets you use effortlessly day to day, and dedicate one post, tweet, status update, or photo to your cause. Be sure to include a link to the organization's web page so people can learn more.



2) Volunteer at/for Events
Does your organization have a charity run? Local event? Twitter account? See if you are available and volunteer. There is always a need for people to work behind the scenes, to help find and secure sponsors, or even free publicity. Again, alert your personal network to spread the word.

I especially admire Team-In-Training for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. It encourages people to run and fundraise through chronicling their training, using their network to raise money, and it's all done through the efforts of the runners, not the organization itself.


3) If not you, then who?
During my reunion year, my class agent and I in tandem contacted all 33 members of our class. We created our own cards, postcards, direct HTML-designed emails, etc. We left posts on Facebook walls, kept track and publicized our Annual Giving participation rates; all without instruction from the school. 

You don't need a cue to give. You can give any day, any time, and tell as many people as you'd like. Take advantage of that. 



4) Talent
What is your special talent? I am very good at marketing, so I applied those skills to my volunteer experience; cold-calling, chairing an event, using social media, etc. 

If you are artistic or create things, create something and donate it to a silent auction.
If you work in law or business, use your connections to find sponsors or donations for a silent auction/fundraising event. 
Or recruit your coworkers to all participate in a charity run. 
Or find a way for your employer to do a corporate match to your organization. 

What else can you and your skills do? 
-Donate cooking lessons, a time-share, something cool you bought on LivingSocial Adventures to a silent auction
-Clean out your house and donate any books or old prom dresses you don't want
-Have old pictures? Scan copies and submit them to be archived or used in publications
-Take current photos at organizational events and submit them
-Know someone cool? Ask if they'd like to be a speaker or guest at an event, then ask if they'd be willing to donate something equally cool
-Cash in your old jar of coins and donate the total to the Annual Fund
-**SMS ALUMS**: Like your job? Contact the college counseling office and see if there's a student that you could sponsor for an Independent Study
-Use your experience with other organizations and tailor it to something you can do for this organization. 


Yes, the post is very much tailored to my fellow Scottie alums, but we all have something to give, and something to give to.

Use this opportunity to use your skills and time for a good cause. In return, use the experience to sharpen your skills, implement something new, and maybe let it lead you to something bigger and better. 

Volunteering costs nothing, and you have nothing to lose.



Find St. Margaret's School on Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment