Sunday, July 1, 2012

Thoughts on Moonrise Kingdom

Moonrise Kingdom was a really, really great movie. I ashamedly admit that it was the first Wes Anderson movie I've seen, despite having Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums on my Netflix for years. The main plot of the movie is that Sam and Suzy have run away together, despite being 12 years old, maybe. Both are "troubled", yet perfect for each other. 


When I was five, I attempted to runaway from home. Not because I was troubled, but because I wanted to be on my own. I have always thought that my parents didn't understand me, and that I knew enough that I could get by without running into any major problems. 



I didn't know where I was going, or what I would do when I got there, but one rainy afternoon, I packed a backpack with an extra set of clothes, whatever money/change I had in my piggy bank, my favorite stuffed animal and a blanket, and went on my way. I did have on a rain slicker and rain boots, so at least I was weather-ready. I didn't even say good-bye.


In the middle of the rainstorm, I left through the back door and onto the sidewalk. I walked around our neighbors circle driveway three times, and went back home. 


I don't know why I picked three laps around the driveway, or if I decided that I would wait until the rain stopped before I ran away "for real". I remember the next day at school, asking my friend if she would ever run away from home. You know, "if you had enough money and stuff". I was thoroughly convinced that I could just walk out of my subdivision, walk along the highway and get to wherever I wanted to go, on my own and with no drama. My wilderness skills were good enough, haha. 


Now, I sometimes wonder the same thing: If everything I have now just suddenly fell apart, where would I go? What would I do if I were on my own, with few limitations and no one to answer to?


I've thought about moving to the west coast, or moving back to Gainesville for grad school, or becoming an expatriate somewhere in Europe. I've thought about moving in with family, or picking a place in the absolute middle of nowhere where I don't know anyone. I admit, the thought is kinda exciting. 


I love where I am right now, and I know that Atlanta will be my home for the foreseeable future. But, I can't help but want to be somewhere else, for just a little while. Not because my boyfriend doesn't understand me (he does), or because I've gotten bored (I haven't), but because I just don't want to lose that feeling of being happy on my own. 



"Let's Run Away" print by Leah Flores. http://society6.com/floresimagespdx/Lets-Run-Away-V_Print

No comments:

Post a Comment