Thursday, February 21, 2013

Waiting Game

Now is the perfect time to get caught up. Caught up in some things while waiting for others. Procrastinating for another day, or even just having to wait until something comes along before you can act.


It's the time when we're all looking ahead, instead of looking around.

My guilt is coming from the house hunt. As soon as we get a house, we can vacate the apartment. As soon as we vacate, we can start nesting. As soon as we nest, we can get back into routine and back to business. But in the meantime, we're just waiting. Or if you're me, you are quietly picking paint swatches for a house you don't own yet…

As much as it feels like time is standing still, it's not. 
So, how do we make the most of time in this situation? Here's what I've been doing:

1) State of the Union
I got some blank paper and at the top of each page, I labeled each activity I've committed to: work, volunteer activities, the house hunt, etc.; everything that could possibly take up a good chunk of time. Then, on each page, I wrote down what was going on for each, what challenges I was looking at, what I needed to prepare for, and some new ideas to pitch. 

2) Communication
Our activities are time-consuming. But when there is a lull, chances are there is a miscommunication somewhere along the line. There is always something to do, something to prep for. So when there's not, it's up to us to take the lead and plan ahead. This will save a lot of time in the long run. It is important to stop and smell the flowers, but not if you have a council to run, money to raise, or a client to please.


3) Spring Clean
This may be because we plan on moving in the next 60 days. But, spring is coming and I'd rather not have a ton of stuff to clutter it up. I am a big advocate of quarterly goodwill runs, but now we're talking about the kitchen, office, all the plastic storage drawers, and 50 spare computer parts that the BF has been hoarding. Just because the house will be bigger, doesn't mean the amount of stuff will be.


I think these three things are productive enough to keep me busy, while I'm waiting for good news. I also have the wonderful London trip to look forward to next month. Let's hope that trip is more of a reward for time well spent, and not a drunken escape-your-sorrows bender.


No comments:

Post a Comment