Thursday, July 18, 2013

Finding Dharma

My BFF and I took a yoga class at the W hotel last month. During the class, our instructor talked about Dharma in terms of what we were meant, or born, to do.
…dharma designates those behaviours considered necessary for the maintenance of the natural order of things. [8] Dharma may encompass ideas such as duty, [9] vocation, religion and all behaviour considered appropriate, correct or morally upright. —Wikipedia
I'm not a biggest fan of yoga, but it's something that I am capable of doing. And if I was going to do it, why not commit and do it right? I went into the class with an open mind, hoping that I might even surprise myself. I came out with a need to be a warrior. 

There will always be a "war", a conflict between a lesser self and the self you are meant to be. 

The battle between me and the lesser self has been very apparent in the last couple weeks. I've felt completely energized and prosperous in one role, and deeply depressed in another, feeling complacent. What would a warrior do? And in addition, what is the correct order of things when it comes to destiny?


I thought of all my attributes and wondered if any of them were dharma-esque. 
Not really. I had to look deeper. 

I thought back on my travels, past loves and favorite books. I thought about the people I idolized and what I like to do when I am alone. I thought about me at my best and unfortunately, me at my worst. 

I stripped away the labels and the details to get to the bare-bones foundation. 

It is dharma for me to be a leader; to see things and make them better. Whether it's leading by example, or actively taking the reins. I also think it is correct/appropriate/morally right for me to be a writer, in its many forms and mediums. 

Unlike other things, this I can be certain. And it's comforting to know, that amidst the chaos of life, there are things that will always be certain. Things that will always be your dharma.




No comments:

Post a Comment