Monday, January 16, 2012

"Is everyone hanging out without me?" -- Book Review

I'm pretty sure I've finished more books in 16 days than I did the entire last half of last year. From someone who loved to read up until high school, I find it especially hard to read for fun. This however does not fly when you're spending money, continuously buying interesting books that never seem to get read. 

Isn't there a class that I need to be reading at 4 a.m. for? (My ritual for getting my reading assignments done before class was reading 100+ pages, bright and early every morning. No guarantee that I'd actually keep myself awake during that time, though.)

But now that life has actually slowed down enough to fit in the extra time before bed to read for fun, I can actually start and finish a book in a timely manner. I even have my special postcard from Tojo's Japanese restaurant in Vancouver as my super special motivating bookmark...

 Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? 

(And Other Concerns) 

  • Mindy Kaling
  • Mindy Kaling plays Kelly Kapoor on The Office, in addition to being one of the show's main writers. I love her character and even more, that her character and her writing are genuinely funny and lovable. For a female writer, I can imagine it to be very hard writing a script for comedic actresses without it being demeaning or ditzy, kind of like how most male writers have a habit of doing.   
    This book is a collection of essays and anecdotes from Mindy's childhood, through college, and into her professional career. She also like to stick in short writings about "Possible reboots/remakes Hollywood should consider", or "Little things a guy should do to be considered hot".  
    If I ever wrote a nonfiction book, I would like to do it her way. This is a funny book that tells a story of one woman's love of comedy, and how she made a career doing what she loved. I love how Mindy is very girly and not intimidating. She writes how she talks, tangents and all. And as much as we all remember high school and growing into a much more awesome person in college, Mindy reminds us how much those days play apart in our everydays. 


    I have very often thought people were hanging out without me, and it is one of those thoughts that I'm pretty sure will haunt me for life in one form or another. That 7th grade dance I wasn't allowed to go to, being extremely bad at volleyball, botching a first date and not being called back for a second one; despite all of these teenage heartbreaks, I love that  I can find the humor in them now. Kind of like comedy equals tragedy plus time...






    My next book is Cleopatra: A Life, and also a bestseller. This book is now in paper and you can even flip through it online...modern technology.... I'm not a book club-type person, but open to your opinions, should you choose. We can have a show and tell.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment