Thursday, May 30, 2013

Autopilot

I've been on the go for the past couple weeks, and my travels have taken me to a few unexpected places.

From 28 girls in white dresses, to 600+ in cap and gown.

From people talking about four years ago, to dreaming of life four years from now.

From a memorial to pay respects, to meeting the young kids of a family I will soon be a part of.

From sending out applications to be part of a new team, to vetting people I want on mine.

I was talking with a colleague about this blog and had difficulty (once again) trying to explain its purpose. The best I can say is that it's about not being on autopilot. Not coasting through life and time, but instead being actively present in the weight of the moment.

This includes the delightful and the tragic, the highs and the lows. But most of all, it's about recognizing your trajectory and knowing that you have the power to alter your course. 

How engaged are we (really) in our day-to-day? And how much happier could we be if we just flipped the switch and decided to author our own lives? Yes, I took that from a book.


In a week, I'll be accepting my nomination to be my alma mater's Alumnae Council president. In the wake of my coxing hiatus, I'm looking forward to wearing the captain's hat (or mic) once again. I have my eyes open, looking for Coxswain Patti to finally come back out. I'm hoping to surprise myself in the process. 

Two years from now, I hope I have something tangible to show for my efforts, and not look back, realizing that I was on autopilot...


No comments:

Post a Comment