Monday, May 13, 2013

Presents and Rewards

Going through my Twitter feed late one night, I noticed that I frequently tweet about presents and rewards.

A reward for a long week? 
Dinner and cocktails with a close friend.

A just-because present from a friend? 
A nice bottle of craft beer.

A present to myself for a job well done? Trying a new restaurant.

I don't want to say that you should do things just for the reward, but I do think it's important to realize when you've done a good job and enjoy it. Small Wins.


When I was on a team, I noticed that there was never really a time when you got to enjoy a win, or a good practice. There was always something to improve on and a new boundary to break through. As a coxswain, good practices were tools in your toolbox, not something to celebrate. It almost seemed like the reward for a great season was not having to get back into the boat until next season. 

This mentality would follow me through college and into my time coxing masters, and I was kinda miserable. You're always waiting for that break to come to finally be completely happy.

Don't do that. 

Happiness should come from within, and shouldn't be dependent on what happens in your environment. Make the conscious effort to be happy. And when you deserve it, stop and give yourself a present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment