Friday, August 30, 2013

Left to My Own Devices

This is the last weekend of August, and I am left to my own devices. My boyfriend is at DragonCon. My best friends are out of town. It's me, alone in the new house, for the first time, with no red wine...

I have a home project to do while the rain comes down for the next three days, walking the fine line between relaxing and bored out of my mind. This is a follow-up to a very (insanely) quiet 28th birthday. Kinda reminds me of the time I stayed home from a dance in 7th grade to read Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul. Don't judge. 

I'm making a list of things to do. Partially to keep busy. Partially to keep from wallowing in depressing black hole. Very Under the Tuscan Sun.


So here is my "Go work on your house, and forget about it" things to do this weekend:

1) Refinish Furniture
This project will be spotlighted on The Kit House blog. I have all the materials to finish a bedroom furniture set that has been out of commission since 1988. 

2) A Feast for Crows/Lean In
My attempt to read two books at the same time isn't so bad. Lean In makes me feel empowered, but painfully aware of my career status. Game of Thrones helps me get out of that funk. 

3) Banana Cream Pie
I have a bunch of overripe bananas from last weeks Banana Split Housewarming. Once the cabinets are done being installed, I can finally break in the kitchen. 

4) Unpacking
The house has been half unpacked since last week. When the final renovations are done (today?), then I can finally start putting things away and staging furniture. It's felt like a vacation house for the last week; semi-permanent with nothing really in its proper place. 

5) Make more lists
This includes furniture we have yet to buy, pictures that still need to be hung, and finishing up the guest rooms for company next month. We were told that you spend so much time and money making a home. And when you finally get it where you want it, you sell it and start over. Vicious cycle…

You don't have to tell me. This is a pretty uneventful list, unless Under the Tuscan Sun comes on.

Yes, this is what I do when I'm alone. Very introverted. Very unspectacular. But you have to get back to neutral at some point, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment